Thursday, May 31, 2012

I wave the white flag of surrender

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare


My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I've been reading the Mortal Instrument's series through somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 pages at this point. I made it to 40% of this book before I finally had to admit it.

I simply don't care anymore.

The first three books were flawed, but reasonably entertaining. Book 4 had great promise, although the cliff-hanger ending mildly annoyed me. I should've known that the story was going nowhere when I wasn't consumed by rage at the fact that Cassandra Clare left me in Book 4 at the point that she left me.

So, this book. Yes, it's a DNF. No, I don't think I will be reading anymore of the series. I'm bored with the characters. I get it that Jace is all golden hotness. For the love of all that is holy, I understand that he glimmers, glistens, is luminescent in his goldenness. Can we move on, now, please? He's hot. Fine. And Clary, well, she has evolved from a moderately engaging mundane into one of the worse cases of wish-fulfillment I've. ever. freaking. seen. in. fiction. Can we just call her Clary-Sue and be done with it, please?

As for the secondary characters, I still love Magnus. But he's just not enough to keep me reading. Simon - yeah, I liked him too, until the author stripped him of every single interesting aspect to his character. He's a vampire? Really? He's the most boring vampire I've ever seen. He makes the vampires from Twilight look positively ferocious.

So, yeah, I didn't like this book. I'm done with the series. Because by 40% of the book, nothing has actually happened. Not one thing. Although, it gets an extra star because the cover is really pretty.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't read this one...I have read all the others and quite frankly think she just should have ended it at 3...and honestly I don't even really have the urge to even start this book...and as for her infernal devices series, read the first one and really enjoyed but clockwork prince? I couldn't even finish that one...so yeah I think I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving blogger, changing focus

I've decided to change the focus of my blog, and so I'm taking this chance to move off blogger and onto wordpress. You will find me ...