Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

I finished this one a while ago, during my March UF kick.

 

 It has taken me a while to actually get to the point of posting the review. This series had been recommended to me at least ten times, by ten different friends. Kate Daniels, the MC, was widely heralded as defining the kickass UF heroine. She did not disappoint.

Plot summary: This series is set in an Alternate Universe Atlanta, where magic and technology vie for, I guess, supremacy. Sometimes the tech is in control, and sometimes the magic knocks out all of the technology. Buildings fall. Phones fail. Electricity goes out. When magic prevails, the city runs on magic.

 Kate Daniels is a sort of an independent contractor, charged with a form of magical law enforcement. At the beginning of book 1, we know almost nothing about her. A close friend, father figure of sorts, is murdered, and she takes on the responsibility and burden of finding out who. Also in this book, there is an unidentified creature that is murdering members of the magical races throughout Atlanta. It is in this book that Kate meets Curran, the Lord of the Beasts, a were-lion creature.

 Review: As a first book, Magic Bites is good. The world building is solid and intriguing. Kate is as advertised. She is not a shrinking violet, she is definitely not one of those shrinking violet women that show up in PNR waiting to be claimed by their mates. The story was well-plotted, and the villain was genuinely evil.

There is plenty within the world to provide scope for additional books, and Kate herself is fascinating. The question of who, and what, she is remains unanswered, and will, no doubt unfold over the subsequent books.

 Easy 4 star read. I've already downloaded the second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving blogger, changing focus

I've decided to change the focus of my blog, and so I'm taking this chance to move off blogger and onto wordpress. You will find me ...