Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

This was a very productive reading weekend. In addition to reading Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, I finished:



Which is a YA take on the Hood mythology. This is a departure from my recent reading because it is not PNR, not UF, not fantasy. There is no magick, no wizards, no werewolves, nothing paranormal at all. Scarlet is straight historical fiction, set during the period when King Richard is on the Crusades, and John as taken over ruling in his absence.

I have read a lot of historical fiction set during this time period, including the adult historical fiction novel by Sharon Kay Penman, which includes The Sunne in Splendor:



and the Marshal/Bigod books by Elizabeth Chadwick, which are generally set during this time period. King John is historically reviled. It was during the end of his reign that some of his barons revolted, and forced the signing of the Magna Carta at Runnymede, an event that is considered by some historians to have begun the English evolution to a constitutional monarchy. It isn't necessary to understand this historical background to enjoy the story, but an understanding of English history certainly doesn't hurt.

Overall, I found the book to be a nice combination of historical accuracy and anachronism. The main character in the book, Scarlet, is a girl. Her behavior is historically anachronistic given the status and education of girls during the Middle Ages. Knowing this, however, didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story. This is fiction, and in fiction, even medieval fiction, I expect my girl heroines to be fairly kickass. Scarlet was, indeed, a tough girl.

There is, as always, the ubiquitous YA love triangle in this book. Few people know Scarlet's feminine identity. The two boys who do, are both in love with her. It is slightly more convincing in this book than it is in others because Scarlet is genuinely exceptional for her time. In any event, the love triangle aspect didn't overwhelm the story.

The book didn't end on a classic cliffhanger, although there is plenty of room to continue the story, and I am curious to see where the author takes these characters, and the people of Nottingham in what I hope will be another installment of this series.

This book is a solid and enjoyable twist on the Robin Hood mythology for young adults. It doesn't quite reach a 4 star read for me, so I'd give it 3 1/2 stars. It's well worth buying and well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving blogger, changing focus

I've decided to change the focus of my blog, and so I'm taking this chance to move off blogger and onto wordpress. You will find me ...