Monday, February 27, 2012

Lady Fortescue Steps Out by M.C. Beaton

So, my amazon prime borrowed book of the month was:



It is short, and sort of expensive for the length at $5.59, but I've heard good things about M.C. Beaton (she writes the Agatha Raisin series) so I thought I would give it a go.

So glad I didn't buy it. So, so glad.

So, really, I don't have a lot to say about this book. The premise behind the book is that a whole bunch of "poor relations" get together in Regency London and start a sort of a hotel so they can make some money and live more comfortably. The premise was cute, and had promise.

Overall, though, the book really didn't work for me. I couldn't make up my mind if it was intended to be satire (not biting enough), comedy (not funny enough) or romance (not romantic enough). The characters, who should've been sympathetic, were mostly extremely unlikeable.

The central romance between the Duke and the character whose name I can't even remember (not a good thing in a romance novel) was pretty cute. Overall, though, I won't be checking any more of these out. Thanks, Prime, for giving me a free chance to decide that they aren't for me.

2 stars -- only because it is reasonably well-written. I expected better.

2 comments:

  1. This was recommended to me and I am glad I saw your review because it was on my wish list and I hadn't read any of this author's romance ones so thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving blogger, changing focus

I've decided to change the focus of my blog, and so I'm taking this chance to move off blogger and onto wordpress. You will find me ...