Sunday, February 12, 2012

Review: Law Man by Kristen Ashley

Law Man is the third book in the Dream Man series. I have heard rumors that it will be the next to last book in the series, with the last book intended to be Tack's story.



I really liked Law Man. As far as the Dream Man series goes, each book, in my opinion, has gotten progressively better. I was not crazy about Mystery Man. I really liked Wild Man. I liked Law Man better than either of those. It rivals Sweet Dreams as my favorite of the KA books I've read.

As far as the plot goes, it is typical KA. The H is Detective Mitch Lawson, who has been a character in each of the preceding Dream Man books. I've been waiting a while for Mitch's story, because I just had a feeling that he would be my favorite H in the series. He was. He is yummy . . . strong and protective, with a kind streak a mile wide. He actively pursues the h, which is a nice change from some of the other books, and, in fact, has to work very, very hard to convince her that he is serious, and that he is the guy for her. The h, Mara, has had a rough go, but is bone-deep decent. Her self-esteem issues were significant, but were well explained by her childhood.

Some of the secondary characters in this book were also fantastic characterizations. Mara's mom and aunt were over the top, but very amusing, and the scene where Mara finally stands up for herself is awesome. Mara's boss is a wonderful character, as are her neighbors. One of this authors particular strengths is in characterizations, and this book is no exception to that rule.

Much of the obligatory KA drama was present in this book -- there are bad guys, criminal bad guy drama to deal with, and a number of the characters from the prior Rock Chick/Dream Man series make an appearance. Elvira, one of my favorite characters, shows up for a pair of highly amusing cameo appearances.

In spite of the rough-around-the-edges nature of KA's books (or possibly because of?) I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read it the day it was released, in about three hours. 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving blogger, changing focus

I've decided to change the focus of my blog, and so I'm taking this chance to move off blogger and onto wordpress. You will find me ...